Social Icons

воскресенье, 23 апреля 2017 г.

A new season means just one thing – a new wardrobe! The FASHION makers

 But who’s influencing our fashion must-haves? We meet the stylistas tipping the trends before they happen.


THE BODY


Model Naomi Shimada, 23, from London, flaunts her killer curves for New Look and Simply Be after putting her "skinny" days behind her.
"I don't like people calling me a plus-size model. I'm only a size 14, 5ft 10in and 9st 13lb - that's normal!
I was signed up by a modelling agency at the age of 13, after being 'spotted' in a cafe in Spain. I then modelled for brands including Fake Bake and The Body Shop.
But although I was successful, I was constantly battling with my body. I'm naturally curvy, but I felt like my livelihood depended on how skinny I was. Over the years, I tried every fad diet and exercise regime around - from the maple syrup diet to hula-hooping - all in a bid to stay 8st 7lb and a size six.
Until last year, I managed to keep model-thin, but it was a struggle. While I never had an eating disorder because I loved food too much, I felt my personality disappearing along with the pounds. I decided the dieting had to stop and I started eating properly again.
It's been such a relief. My mood changed almost overnight and I'm now a 'normal-size' model (wouldn't it be great if 'plus-size' girls were just called 'models'?).
As a size 14, I've never felt more comfortable in my own skin - this is the way I'm meant to be. I make sure that I still exercise and eat healthily, but I'm not ashamed of who I am.
I'm getting better jobs - I've done campaigns for Evans and New Look and I'm in talks with a cool British designer. People think you have to be skinny to be beautiful, but it's not true - look at model Crystal Renn or actress Christina Hendricks from Mad Men. Curves are sexy; they're the future."
Key trends? Tie-dye and '50s figure-hugging underwear.
My best-ever fashion buy was... My roller boots.
My fashion icons are.. Kelis and Grace Jones.
THE PRESENTER


Trend spotter and fashion pundit Antonia O'Brien, 23, from London, is the super-stylish star of My-wardrobe.com's My-TV.

"Growing up, I always knew I wanted to work in fashion but also loved the idea of being a presenter - I just wasn't sure how to combine the two.
I started out working in clothes shops then, after graduating from Northumbria University with a degree in fashion history, I did some work experience at online boutique My-wardrobe.com. One day, I got chatting to the company's CEO Sarah Curran. I mentioned that I'd love to do some presenting and, to my amazement, she offered me a job doing just that!
Now I'm a presenter for My-TV, making online fashion clips. I pick trends to focus on based on catwalk shows, fashion websites and magazines. Earlier this year, a producer at GMTV saw a clip of me and invited me to appear on the show. Sitting on the sofa talking trends with Emma Bunton was unbelievable.
To do this job, you need to immerse yourself in fashion. Make a showreel and send it to casting agents. The industry is competitive, but really rewarding."
Key trends? Lace - you can add just a small touch and be on trend - and leather.
My fashion icon is... Actress Diane Kruger as she's so cutting-edge.
My best-ever fashion buy was... A Céline blazer that cost £30 from a charity shop.
THE GREEN GODDESS


Web wonder Lianne Ludlow, 34, from Hampshire, is on a mission to prove that green is the new black with her online boutique Fashion-conscience.com.

"I was on holiday in India three years ago when I had my light-bulb moment. Though I'd always been fairly 'green', I wanted to do more. So I decided to use my expertise as a fashion journalist to launch an ethical fashion website selling stylish clothes and accessories.
Green fashion boutiques felt like the uncool younger sister, all hemp sacks and hessian. I knew it could be glossy and glam. I started work on Fashion Conscience, my website that sells organic, vegan and fair-trade clothing and accessories. I had one rule: style first, ethics second. At first, it was a struggle. But I'm discovering lots of exciting designers and now help labels develop stylish eco products. I'd love to see eco-fashion shops on every high street one day."
I'd kill for... An aviator-style jacket.
Top tip for A/W? Buy timeless pieces - they'll last for years.
THE ÜBER-STYLIST


Britain's Next Top Model judge and stylist Grace Woodward, 33, from London, decides what top celebs wear for their close-ups.

"Some days I'm pinning clothes to a celebrity for a photo shoot at the break of dawn. Others, I'm making a dress out of dead fish - yes, really!
Working in fashion's certainly not all glamour. But I love every moment of my job. I've always been obsessed by style. I've tried every trend going - from indie to pop to goth.
At 18, I went to the London College Of Fashion to do a degree in fashion promotion. When I graduated, I worked as a PR for posh lingerie label Agent Provocateur. To say I learnt on the job is an understatement. I had to do everything on fast-forward - from devising advertising and marketing campaigns to shooting look books. It was hectic, but amazing.
After four years, I became a freelance stylist. Through Agent Provocateur, I met the legendary photographer Rankin, who's worked with everyone from Britney to Lily Allen. We started to get together on shoots, doing some bonkers jobs - like the dead-fish dress - as well as some big campaigns, such as the Dove Real Women adverts.
I learned so much from working with such talented people. Now, as well as styling shoots and catwalk shows, I dress stars like Florence Welch and La Roux. We'll chat about their image, then I'll start researching and pulling together outfits that I think will give them the look they want.
I'm also a judge on Britain's Next Top Model. It's amazing but it's tough, too. We're making and breaking dreams, so we have to make the right decisions.
Styling's not for the faint-hearted. For the first few years you won't make much money. You definitely have to love clothes more than cash! Start by making your own outfits and working your own look. Apply to fashion labels, make contacts, work stupidly hard and you'll get there."
My best-ever fashion buy was... My Chanel pumps. They feel just as special as heels.
Ones to watch? Designer Yang Du and T-shirt label I Love Boxie.
THE CAN-DO DESIGNER




Despite having no fashion training, Ducie Keam-George, 35, from west London, is a designer selling her own label at Ducie.co.uk.

"If you really want it, you can get into fashion at any time. I'm proof of that.
In 2004, I started my label, Ducie, with no formal training and little money. I never thought I could be a designer, but everything changed in 2003, while I was on holiday in India with my husband Dan, 39, an events producer. I fell in love with the beautiful silks there and imagined making clothes using that kind of fabric. With the help of a local businessman, a friend of a friend, we found a factory that could produce our designs and bought fabrics with our £4,000 life savings.
I learned everything from scratch, spending weeks in India sketching ideas, working with a pattern-cutter and tailor. In four months, my collection was ready.
Back in the UK, I got a stall at London's Portobello Market. The label started to get noticed by people, including celebs like Dannii Minogue. Our turnover is increasing annually and we're planning our first collection for London Fashion Week in 2012. It's really exciting."
Top tip for A/W? Flowing maxis with a faux-fur jacket
My best-ever fashion buy was... A pair of vintage fur boots from Portobello Market.
THE HIGH-STREET BUYER




Madeleine Evans, 35, from Pembrokeshire, brings hot fashion to the high street as head of buying at Topshop.

"My job is to predict which trends are going to be big for our customers, and to make sure we're the first on the high street to get those looks into our stores. My decisions can mean the difference between something selling out or ending up on the sale rail, so I need to understand how style works and what women are looking for.
Inspiration for new looks comes from everywhere - travel, art, film, markets, books. Once we've got an idea, we work on the design, then get a sample put together. We then decide what quantities we need to order. With two key collections every year, it's fast-moving and hard work. But when I see someone in the street wearing a piece my team has created, I get a real buzz.
I've been at Topshop for 12 years and have worked my way up. To be a buyer, you have to live and breathe fashion. You'll be spotting trends before they happen. An internship with a big fashion retailer will help you meet the right people. It's a brilliant industry - and think of all the clothes you can treat yourself to in the name of research!"
Top tip for A/W? Swap skinnies for high-waisted, wide-leg and kick-flare trousers.
Ones to watch: Model Imogen Newton from our A/W '10 campaign - she's destined for great things.

Комментариев нет:

 
Blogger Templates