Social Icons

воскресенье, 5 февраля 2017 г.

Freelancing: Protect Yourself through Legal Forms

I know I’ve written a little bit about this matter a few months ago but I’d like to re-emphasize the point. I have a lot of friends who are freelancing graphics artists and web designers. I am sort of a freelancer myself. One thing that I’d say that most freelancers tend to forget is to protect themselves legally from unscrupulous clients.
I had the pleasant experience of riding on gentleman’s agreement for most of my freelance work until I’ve personally experience one totally unmanageable client a few years ago, who, despite verbal agreements that there would only be a maximum of two revisions from an agreed design, pushed me on to make more than the agreed revisions. While I was able to assert myself over the matter, I knew that I would have had better leverage if I had the agreement on paper.
If you’re a freelancer and have experienced the same, then it’s quite obvious where you (we) have lapsed - we forgot to protect ourselves legally.
While lawsuits are not that common with freelance jobs (since most companies only outsource vital tasks to more established companies), it is still a wise move to be protected by a duly-signed agreement.
Depending on the nature of the job, you might need a set of legal forms that would guide you from the moment you’ve started officially talking to the client. While verbal agreements can stand in court, there’s no better protection than paper.
Here are some of the more common documents that you should have.
  • Quotation
  • Job specification sheet
  • Copyright and release forms
  • Final contract/agreement
  • Billing statement
  • Non-disclosure agreement
  • Privacy agreement

Комментариев нет:

 
Blogger Templates