Social Icons

пятница, 5 августа 2016 г.

Three generations of women reveal their experiences of love, sex and marriage.

These days, if you're looking for love chances are you'll find it on Facebook, but it wasn't always so easy.

The Gran: 'I married my first boyfriend'
Cynthia Bailey, 68, is from Markfield, Leicestershire. She's been married to Bill, 68, (right) for 49 years, and has four children (Julie, 48, Simon, 45, Scott, 43, and Daniel, 37), nine grandchildren and two great grandchildren.
How many boyfriends have you had?
Only one serious one, and I married him!
How old were you when you your husband?
I was 18 when I started going out with Bill. I was friends with his sister. A few of us would go to dances together at The Grand, our local dance hall. One evening Bill asked me if I'd like to go out with him. I found him attractive, so I said yes.
Where did you have your first date?
We went for a walk in the countryside around our village one afternoon, and then I went back to his parents' house for tea.
How soon after you met did you have your first kiss?
It was a few weeks later, on the dance floor at The Grand. People were chaperoned much of the time then - usually when Bill and I met up we'd go to each other's family homes for afternoon tea or dinner. You had to grab your chances where you could! It's not like now, where everyone seems to rush into things - sex, marriage, divorce. Then, you took things slowly.
How did he propose?
We'd been together for a year when Bill asked me while we were out dancing. I wasn't that surprised, though. We'd been getting to know each other slowly and I knew he was the one for me within a few weeks. He was kind, sensible and we could talk about anything.
Describe your wedding day.
We had about 70 people at our wedding. It wasn't fancy. I got married in our local church in Markfield, in 1961. Our party cost £100 and my parents footed the bill. I wore a light blue lace ballerina-length dress with a matching jacket and a little blue veil. Bill was in a dark grey suit, and my bridesmaids wore pink. We hired a room behind a local pub and had a buffet with cold meats, pork pies and salads, plus a live band. We spent a week sightseeing in London for our honeymoon.
When did you first have sex?
It was on our wedding night. It wasn't perfect that first time. Before I got married, I knew very little about sex. Talking about it was frowned upon. It would have been better if children had received sex education at school - mind you, I think there's almost too much emphasis on sex now.
Do you wish you'd waited and had more boyfriends before you married?
Not at all. I have no regrets about marrying so young.
Could you ever forgive an affair?
I think so - if you really love each other, you can work it out.
What's the secret of a long and happy marriage?
You can't give up the minute there's a rough patch. And communication is the key to making a marriage work. Of course, Bill and I have argued over the years, and have different opinions on things, but that's healthy.
What advice would you give to the next generation?
I hope I've passed on the principles of how important it is to have a faithful, loving relationship.
What was your most memorable Valentine's Day?
Once, 20 years ago, Bill had 12 red roses and a teddy bear delivered to the shop where I was working. There was a lot of cooing from the other girls, which I found a bit embarrassing - but it was very sweet.
The mum: 'Sex is still very important'
Julie Culpin, 48, lives in Rutland. She co-owns a butcher's shop with her husband Michael, 50 (right), who she's been married to for 28 years. They have four children; Rebecca, 26, Emily, 22, Sarah, 21, and Edward, 17.
How many boyfriends have you had?
Three, including my husband.
How old were you when you had your first boyfriend?
I was 16. He was called Duncan, and he was in the year above me at school, so I knew him fairly well.
Where did you have your first date?
At the local disco. We had our first kiss that evening too, probably to the sound of something like the Bay City Rollers!
How old were you when you met your husband?
I was 19 and he was 20. We worked together at an aircraft parts company in Leicester. At the time I was dating someone else, so when I found out he was interested in me I was flattered, but nothing more. When that relationship finished, Mike asked me out.
When and where was your first kiss?
It was on our first date. We'd gone out for a meal and then to a pub afterwards.
How long had you been together when he proposed?
It had only been about six months, and it was totally out of the blue! But I was madly in love with him by then, so ¿I said yes straight away.
How did he propose?
We were in the pub together, having had a few drinks and we'd been talking about children. Mike said: "If you ever have a baby, please make sure it's mine," and I replied: "OK, I will!" Then he said: "Will you marry me, then?" I said yes immediately, though Mike said he'd ask me again the next day as he thought that it might be the drink talking!
Describe your wedding day.
We got married in August 1981, in Markfield church. It cost around £2,000. My dress was very simple: floor-length and made of antique Nottingham lace. I had a waist-length veil and a bouquet of peach roses. The reception was in the Sawbridge Inn in a village nearby, where we had a cold buffet and there were 80 guests. I had just turned 21, but it wasn't unusual for women my age to get married then. Nowadays women often wait till they reach their 30s.
When did you lose your virginity?
I was 16 when I lost my virginity to my first boyfriend, Duncan, after a few months together. We'd had sex education at school, but I was still absolutely terrified. I never talked to my mum about sex; I turned to friends if I needed any advice about boys. I wanted to be more open with my own daughters - they've had good sex education at school and parents were invited to attend the classes too. Emily is very open and I trust her.
How do you feel about your own children having sex?
To be honest, I was a bit horrified when I found out my eldest daughter, Rebecca, had been sexually active. For any mother it was that jolt of realisation that your child - your baby - is an adult. With Emily I was more relaxed about it.
Do you wish you'd waited and had more boyfriends before you married?
Not at all. I'm looking forward to growing old with Mike.
Could you ever forgive an affair?
I think I could, eventually. Obviously I'd be really angry and hurt, but if it was someone you'd been with for a long time, you wouldn't want to throw it all away.
What's the secret of a long and happy marriage?
When you've got kids, you've always got other things to focus on so you can put petty arguments to one side. And you have to keep the spark alive. Sex is still a very important part of our relationship. We talk about it regularly and make sure we both keep each other happy.
Do you ever row?
Yes, but mainly about trivial things, like when Mike gets back late from the pub, or how to discipline the kids back when they were younger. I like to have a good bust-up and get it out of the way, but Mike's more of a sulker.
What advice would you give to the next generation?
Think carefully before you make a commitment to someone. So many couples seem to get married and divorced far too quickly.
What was your most memorable Valentine's Day?
It was the one just before we got married. Mike gave me a rose and card, which said: "Stick with me, baby, and you'll have diamonds!" Sure enough, a couple of months later, I did get my diamond ring.
THE DAUGHTER: 'You need several lovers before settling down'

Emily Culpin, 22, is a student from Rutland. She lives with her boyfriend Max, 41 (right).
How many boyfriends have you had?
Five, lasting from a few months to a couple of years. I've also had a couple of holiday flings. Altogether I've slept with seven guys.
How old were you when you had your first boyfriend?
I was 15, and Yann was 18. He was at the same school as me.
Where did you have your first date?
We went to another friend's house in a big group to watch TV and hang out. We had our first kiss in the living room!
What age were you when you lost your virginity?
I lost my virginity to Yann when I turned 16.
How old were you when you met your current partner?
We met when I was 20. Max owns a clothes shop in town and I'd seen him there a few times. Then he turned up at the same BBQ as me and I was smitten. He asked me out soon after.
Do you notice the age difference?
There are 19 years between us, but Max is very young at heart and I think I'm mature for my age.
What did you do on your first date?
We went for a few drinks at a local bar. He walked me back to my car and we kissed for the first time before I went home.
How soon did you sleep together?
We slept together on our third date. There was a lot of chemistry between us. How did you end up moving in together?
We decided to get our own place four months ago, after we'd been seeing each other for 14 months. I was spending so much time at Max's rented place that it made sense.
Do you want to get married?
Yes, in a few years. As a little girl, I always wanted the big white wedding but I don't want to rush into it. Max is divorced and I know he wouldn't get married again unless he was sure it was for good.
Does Max have children?
He has a six-year-old son he sees regularly. I've met him a couple of times, but Max normally sees him at his mum's house.
Would you like kids together?
I could see Max as the father of my kids. He'd like more children, but wants to be sure it's with the right person.
Could you ever forgive an affair?
Never. If you're in a committed relationship, it's the ultimate betrayal.
What advice would you give to the next generation?
My generation has the opportunity to 'try before you buy' - you get to know what you want, and what you don't. I'd recommend having a lot of relationship experiences before you settle down.
What was your most memorable Valentine's Day?
Last year, I filled Max's flat with red roses and pink confetti before he came home, and was waiting for him with wine and a takeaway. He loved it, but he can be romantic too - he always leaves me notes telling me he loves me.

1 комментарий:

Vinsent комментирует...

It was great to read the stories of the gran, mum and daughter about love, sex and marriage. It just goes to show how much attitudes have changed – and not necessarily for the better. Too much emphasis is put on sex at the expense of love. And when it comes to weddings, people need to remember that they’re about love, not about how much money you spend!

 
Blogger Templates